Lowbrow Customs Air Cleaner Cover Overview
Replacing your S&S teardrop air cleaner cover with a new Super E Air Cleaner Cover takes only moments, as it utilizes the stock air filter element, backing plate and hardware. It will take longer to decide which of the investment-cast aluminum covers is your favorite than it will to install it! This is one of many options available at Lowbrow to swap out your Harley-Davidson air cleaner for a cooler option.
This air cleaner cover from Lowbrow Customs is investment cast aluminum. It uses the stock hardware as well as a stock backing plate and air filter. Extremely easy install, takes you about two minutes. This features a really nice front shield. It's a good rain guard while it leaves the filter element exposed on the back side. It gives a definite bit of added flair and style compared to the stock setup.
You can take a closer look at our air cleaner cover with Tyler in the video below:
How to Install Louvered Air Cleaner for CV Carburetors on Harley-Davidson Sportster
Are you tired of that ugly old stock air cleaner on your bike but not sure where to start on replacing it? Don’t worry, we got you covered with this short and easy step by step walk through.
First thing you need to do is grab yourself one of our Lowbrow Customs Louvered Air Cleaners, a Gasbox Carb Support bracket for CV carbs, and a set of Lowbrow Customs breather bolts. Also available for S&S carburetors. Once it arrives, crack open an adult beverage and get ready to tackle this job in about 30 mins or less.
Soon you will be back up and running, showing off not only your sweet mechanic skills but a great new look for that CV carbureted motor of yours.
Let's get started.
- Loosen screws with #3 Phillips screwdriver. Remove cover then air filter element exposing the backing plate.
Step 1: Loosen and remove the two screws that are holding the air cleaner cover on using a #3 Phillips screwdriver. Pull off the cover after the two screws have been removed. Then remove the air filter element exposing the backing plate.
- The two larger screws are the breather bolts and the three smaller screws are attaching the backing plate to the carburetor.
- Loosen the stock breather bolts. Loosen the three smaller backing plate screws allowing you to remove the backing plate.
- Remove breather bolts and then the backing plate from the carburetor.
Step 2: Loosen stock breather bolts using a 5/16” Allen socket. Then loosen the three screws holding the backing plate with a 5/32” Allen socket. These will not come out of the backing plate, Harley-Davidson designed them to stay with the backing plate. Remove both stock breather bolts and the backing plate.
- In order to install this air cleaner to your CV carb, you will need a Gasbox Carb support bracket and a set of Lowbrow Customs breather bolts.
*Note: Since CV carbs are spigot mounted they will need to have a support bracket or there is a possibility of it becoming disconnected from the manifold.
- Install the Gasbox Carb Support Bracket using Lowbrow breather bolts. Aligning the holes up the carburetor will allow you to determine the correct orientation.
Step 3: Install Gasbox Carb support bracket for CV carbs using Lowbrow Customs breather bolts. You will use a 1/4” allen socket to install the breather bolts into the heads. We recommend a drop of red Loctite.
Aligning the holes on the support bracket to the carburetor will determine the correct orientation of the bracket. Do not fully tighten down the breather bolts just yet, allow some wiggle room for the carb support bracket to be attached to the carburetor.
- Separate the Lowbrow Customs Louvered air cleaner by removing the long screw in the middle.
Step 4: Separate the Lowbrow Customs Louvered air cleaner from it’s backing plate by removing the long screw using a #3 Phillips screwdriver.
- Apply gasket to the Gasbox Carb Support Bracket by aligning the holes and press firmly down.
Step 5: With supplied gasket, peel off the white backing exposing the sticky side and apply to the Gasbox Carb Support Bracket by aligning the holes. Press firmly down to secure.
- Align the air filter backing plate to the holes on the carb support bracket then use your T-handle 1/8" allen to fasten the three supplied screws.
Step 6: Align the Lowbrow Customs Louvered air cleaner backing plate to the holes on the carb support bracket. Using a T-handle 1/8” allen, attach the backing plate to the carb support bracket using the three supplied screws.
We strongly suggest using a dab of blue Loctite on each screw. The upper hole to the left of the carb is a vent and should not have a screw installed. (see photo above)
- Tighten breather bolts securely.
Step 7: After double checking that the three backing plate screws are securely tightened to the support bracket, tighten down the breather bolts securely.
- Install the mesh screens into the breather bolts. The large mesh side goes into the breather bolt exposing the finer mesh to the outside. Using snap ring pliers insert the snap rings into each breather bolt.
- There is a small groove in the breather bolts that the snap rings sit in, push forward on the snap rings until you hear a click and they seat into the groove correctly.
Step 8: Lowbrow Customs breather bolts come with mesh filter screens and snap rings to retain the mesh screen.
First you must determine the large mesh side from the fine mesh side. Insert the large mesh side into the breather bolts exposing the fine mesh out towards you. Using snap ring pliers insert both snap rings into the breather bolts and push forward till they click into the grooves locking the mesh in place.
- Todd is happy the job is almost done!
- Making sure the air filter element is in the metal cover, align the center bolt with the middle hole of the backing plate and tighten.
Step 9: With the air filter element inside the air filter cover align the center screw to the center hole of the backing plate and securely tighten.
- Done and looking cooler than ever with your new Lowbrow Customs Louvered Air Cleaner!
Whoa, that’s all there is to it, you’re done! Now you can fire that bad boy up and go for a ride.
*Note: You may need to re-jet your carburetor accordingly when switching to a high flow air filter system. If installing on an EFI model you will need to tune accordingly when switching to a high flow air filter system.
- From stock air cleaner to Lowbrow Customs Louvered Air Cleaner.
- From stock air cleaner to Lowbrow Customs Louvered Air Cleaner, so much smaller and nicer and giving your leg more room!
Still in need of some more help? Check out the video below:
Or you can check out our Lowbrow Customs Louvered Air Cleaner Review for CV & S&S Super E & G: